Nothing compares to a long, hot bath to take away the stress of the day—unless the state of your bathtub is what’s making you stressed out!
It can be hard to clean your bathtub sometimes. Bathtubs are notorious for collecting soap scum, mildew, and grime, as well as hard water or rust stains that are stubborn to get rid of.
You want to ensure you get all the dirt and grime out of your tub, but you don’t want to damage the finish. There are a few essential things you can do to make your tub look white again if it is starting to look dirty.
Many people use one of the many store-bought cleansers, especially for bath surfaces. No matter which one you choose, make sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use it safely, as many of these products contain harmful chemicals.
If you’d rather use natural, do-it-yourself cleaning methods, keep reading for instructions and tips on cleaning and removing stains from a bathtub with just a few everyday, cheap household items.
Here are a few quick ways to clean the space around your bathtub.
How to Clean Your Bathtub
If you like quick tips to help you clean your bathtub, then keep in mind the following:
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and warm water in an empty spray bottle. Mixing vinegar and warm water in a 1:1 ratio create an effective, natural cleaning solution.
- Spray the tub’s surface with the solution, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Letting the solution sit for 15 minutes will give it time to work on breaking down any dirt or soap scum.
- Use a sponge or cloth to scrub the tub, then rinse it with warm water. You may need to put some elbow grease into it, but the vinegar should help loosen any dirt or grime.
- Repeat as necessary or until your tub is clean. If your tub is particularly dirty, you may need to repeat this process a few times before it’s sparkling clean.
How to Get Rid of Mild Spots
If there is more dirt or a mild spot/stain, you can do the following:
- Sprinkle baking soda in the bathtub and spray it with the vinegar and water solution. Baking soda is a natural abrasive that can assist in breaking down tougher tub dirt and stains.
- Let the mixture bubble for a few minutes, then scrub it with a soft cloth or sponge until paste forms. Waiting until paste forms will ensure the baking soda has time to work on the stain.
- Rinse the tub with warm water when you’re through scrubbing, and dry it with a clean towel. Finally, when done, you must ensure that you rinse it with warm water to eliminate any residue.
HOW To Get Rid Of Tough Stains
Follow these steps when you need the most cleaning power to get rid of tough stains:
- Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with two parts baking soda to make a paste for cleaning the bathtub (or cream of tartar). This solution can clean most bathtub stains, including rust, hard water, and soap scum.
- Rub the paste into the stain, let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, and then wipe it off and wash it. Letting it sit for 30 minutes will give the solution time to work on breaking down the stain.
- Rinse and dry the tub when you’re finished. As always, you must rinse it with warm water to eliminate any residue.
How to Get Rid of Hard Water Spots
Mineral deposits look like they won’t come off, but they are pretty easy to get rid of.
- Soak a paper towel in white vinegar at full strength. This trick will help you remove any spots quickly.
- Put the wet paper towels right on the stained spots. Putting paper towels on the spots can help to loosen the grime.
- Let it sit for an hour or two. Letting it sit this long will ensure that the trick with paper towels will work well.
How to Get Rust Stains Off the Tub
You can use a paste made of borax powder and lemon juice to get rid of rust stains.
- Sprinkle borax on the rust spots. Borax is a natural cleaner that you can use to clean most surfaces. You can purchase this from your local stores.
- Rub each stain with the cut half of a lemon until paste forms. The lemon will act as an abrasive and help loosen the rust stains.
- Give the paste 15 to 30 minutes to sit. The time it takes to work will depend on how bad the rust stains are.
- Wipe and rinse. When you’re done, make sure that you wipe it clean and rinse it with warm water.
General Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning Your Bathtub
While there are tips you can follow when cleaning your bathtub, there are also some general do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind.
- Always test a small area first to ensure the cleaner won’t damage the tub. By doing so, you can avoid any potential disasters.
- Read the labels on cleaners to find out how to use them safely and effectively. This will ensure that you are using the products correctly.
- Wear gloves when cleaning to protect your hands from harsh chemicals. Gloves will also help to keep your hands clean.
- Ventilate the room well to avoid inhaling harmful fumes from cleaners. Open a window or turn on a fan to help circulate the air.
- Don’t use a harsh cleaner on your tub. Abrasive cleaners can only damage the finish or look of your tub and make it more difficult to clean in the future.
- Don’t forget to rinse the tub after cleaning it. You must remove all traces of cleaner from the surface to avoid any potential damage.
- Don’t use a dirty rag to clean your tub. This will only spread dirt and grime around, making the situation worse. Always use a clean cloth or sponge when cleaning.
- Don’t neglect to scrub hard-to-reach areas. These areas are often the dirtiest and will benefit from a good scrubbing.
- Don’t forget to dry the tub after cleaning. Water left on the surface can cause mildew and mold to grow. Use a clean towel to dry the tub completely.
Following these simple tips can keep your bathtub looking its best. With some care and attention, you can enjoy a clean and sparkling tub for years to come.
Hiring Cleaning Services
When it comes to keeping your bathtub clean, a few different options are available. You can try cleaning it yourself with store-bought cleaners, hire professional home cleaners, or use a combination of both.
Hiring professional cleaning services is always an option if you don’t have the time or energy to clean your bathtub. However, it’s essential to do your research to make sure you’re hiring a reputable company. No matter what method you choose, the important thing is that you take the time to clean your tub regularly.
Modern Maids offers complete bathtub cleaning services and can have your tub sparkling in no time. Our professionals have the experience and know-how to eliminate all kinds of stains, including rust, hard water, soap scum, and more. We value your home as much as you do and will take the time to clean your bathtub correctly.
Every time you take a bath, or as often as possible, try to rinse the tub’s surface with clean, warm water. Then, use a squeegee, microfiber cloth, or sponge to remove the extra water. Doing this goes a long way toward preventing soap scum, mildew, and grime, so you don’t have to clean harder or more often. At the end of the day, all it takes is hard work and discipline to keep your bathtub clean at all times.
Modern Maids can help you with cleaning your bathtub. Contact us now to know more and schedule our cleaning service.